Monday, April 07, 2003

SCARS

I took refuge in darkness
To hide these scars I bear
Careful not to show myself
More careful not to care.

He then invaded my void
A shocking, blinding light.
I cried out in protest
Hid further out of sight.

"Never look upon me
Nor on my painful scars,
Ever haunting, marring
Like cracks on crystal jars."

He said, "Fear not, survivor,
And shed your cloak of night.
I know those scars have come
From fighting for what's right."

"And another truth I know,
As a fighter, just like you,
Is that in scars of battle
Does true beauty shine through."

And the light slowly faded
To a tiny spark inside.
Forever it kept burning
'Til my fear and anger died.

Plunged again in darkness
His light I yearn to find
For the nail-scars on His hands and feet
Are still fresh in my mind.

No comments: